Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Childhood Memories

I would like to preface this blog by saying, "I am NOT old!"  What I am about to share with you, however, might prove to the contrary!
Matt and I took a stroll down "Memory Lane" this afternoon.  After all, that's about all the strolling I'm doing right now - Hee!  Hee!  Hee!  We got to talking about different things we watched and read as children...Matt grew up with Comic Books and Sci-fi movies; I grew up with "Little Women" and Westerns (you know...John Wayne, Clint Eastwood, etc.)  Naturally, the conversation turned to some of the games we played (here is where I start telling my age)!
When I was little and we still lived in New York State, one of my favorite pastimes was to play games with "Pama" (my Grandma).  She had a closet full of things to keep us grandchildren entertained.  A couple of games that I remember in particular were "Uncle Wiggily" and "Shopping Center."  Matt is convinced the only reason "Shopping Center" was one of my favorite games was that it involved shopping!  Well, maybe he's right!  Pama also had "Chutes and Ladders" (yes, back then it was still "Chutes and Ladders," not "Snakes and Ladders"!)  
Anyway, I got to thinking about how much fun I had playing those games with Pama and my cousins.  I also thought about how fun it would be to play those games with my own children!  Then I started wondering if "Uncle Wiggily" and "Shopping Center" were still in existence!  (I have no idea what happened to the ones Pama had.)  Well, thanks to Google...I found both of those games!  I was so excited, and Matt was so good to let me buy them both, and they were good prices!  My excitement was dampened by the realization that those games are considered "Vintage Board Games."  Am I THAT old?  I am NOT that old!  I was able to purchase two "Uncle Wiggily" storybooks and the game for one great price!  I found "Shopping Center" on Ebay!  (I was also able to buy a book for my sweet Hubby too - a book about one of his ancestors, Bishop William McKendree!)
Now I am counting the days until they arrive in the mail, and I can start playing those games with my own kiddos!  What games do you remember from your childhood?

Vintage-VGC-1957-Whitman-SHOPPING-CENTER-Board-Game-Complete-in-Original-Box

2 comments:

  1. My Grandad used to read us Uncle Wiggly stories. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember Chutes and Ladders too, and I think we had one called Candy Land too.

    ReplyDelete