Friday, November 2, 2012

"If...Thens"

Did you ever notice how many times the Book of Proverbs says, "If.....Then..."?  I haven't counted them all up, but I know there are ALOT of them!  I am reading through Proverbs this month in my quiet time.  While I was reading Proverbs 2 this morning, the Lord brought my attention to the "If...Thens."  Just in chapter 2 there are at least 8 "Ifs" - challenges with a promised result ("Then") attached.  As I continued reading this chapter, the Lord challenged me to "Prove Him."  I have always loved a challenge!
I wrote down in my Journal all the "Ifs" I could find in Chapter 2.  As I was looking for the "Thens,"  the Lord drew my attention to the "Results" - what our lives become when we apply the "Ifs" and allow God to give us the "Thens."  It was such a blessing and encouragement to me, that I wanted to share them with you!
IF I will...
1.  Receive My (Jesus') Words
2.  Hide My commandments with thee
3.  Incline thine ear unto wisdom
4.  Apply thine heart to understanding
5.  Cry after knowledge
6.  Lift up thy voice for understanding
7.  Seek her (understanding) as silver
8.  Search for her as for hid treasures
THEN...
1.  I shall understand the fear of the Lord
2.  I shall find knowledge of God
3.  I shall understand righteousness, judgment, and equity
4.  I shall understand every good path
RESULTS...
1.  Wisdom shall be in my heart
2.  Knowledge shall be pleasant to my soul
3.  Discretion shall preserve me
4.  Understanding shall keep me
5.  Deliverance from the way of the evil man
6.  Deliverance from the strange woman
7.  I shall walk in the way of good men
8.  I shall keep the paths of righteousness
Please don't think I am preaching a sermon at you!  I just wanted to share with you this morning the blessing and challenge the Lord has laid before me for this month (and the rest of my life...).  It is going to be an interesting month, but here I go....!

No comments:

Post a Comment