Thursday, November 8, 2012

When Super-powers Fizzle

I read a book once about a lady who was often asked, "What do you do?"  When she would respond, "I'm a Mom," she heard people remark, "Oh, that's all?"  Now we all know being a Mom isn't such a simple matter.  She finally came up with the following response:  "I'm a Mom.  What's your super-power?"  
Along with reading carefully through Proverbs this month, I've been doing a serious study of the Proverbs 31 Lady.  Yes, I know....I can already hear you groaning!  I groaned too, when the Lord challenged me to study this famous Lady of the Bible.  I groaned even more when the Lord challenged me to see how I measure up!!  If ever a Lady had "super-powers" that Lady had them!  When I look at all the things She did - consistently - I find myself thinking, "How in the world did she "keep all her plates spinning?  Didn't she EVER sleep?!?"  You would think I would be careful what kind of questions I ask the Lord, but since I haven't learned yet....
...here I am...letting the Lord show me ways I can apply "P31 Moments" in my own life.  One of my favorite places for thinking things over has become my kitchen sink.  Now before you start thinking how good I am to LOVE washing dishes, let me assure you - I HATE WASHING DISHES!!!  But my kitchen sink is becoming a special place to do some quality thinking (when I'm not hiding in the bathroom)!  Today, as I washed dishes, I got to thinking about that quote, "I'm a Mom.  What's your Super-power."  For me, one thing leads to another in my thoughts (like spaghetti!) and I ended up with the question, "What do I do when the Super-powers fizzle?"  No sooner had I asked my question, when in my mind and in my heart I could hear the song, "We have an Anchor."  Once again I am so thankful for all the times my Mom and I sang our way through the song book!  I knew that song was based on a verse in the Bible, but I wanted to know exactly what the Bible said so I looked it up - Hebrews 6:18-20.  What a blessed fact that Jesus is our Anchor, and He always helps us - no matter which of our "super-powers" fail!  Not only does He bring Scriptures and songs to mind to encourage us, but He also sends little blessings our way - time spent making Thanksgiving decorations with my kiddos, a young lady asking for discipleship, a right answer on a Language School Test!  The second verse of "We Have an Anchor" says,
"It is safely moored, 'twill the storm withstand.
For 'tis well secured by the Saviour's hand;
Though the tempest rage and the wild winds blow,
Not an angry wave shall our bark o'erflow."
Chorus:
"We have an anchor that keeps the soul
Steadfast and sure while the billows roll,
Fastened to the Rock which cannot move, 
Grounded firm and deep in the Saviour's love.

When our super-powers fizzle, let's hold tight to our Anchor, Jesus Christ!

No comments:

Post a Comment