Sunday, May 25, 2014

When Opposition Comes

There's a song that the Lord has allowed to play continually in my mind this past week.  Because it has been such an encouragement to me, I wanted to share it with you.

¨The Fire¨
I've been through a fire
That has deepened my desire
To know the living God more and more;
It hasn't been much fun,
But the work that it has done
In my life has made it worth the hurt.
You see, sometimes we need the hard times
To bring us to our knees -
Otherwise we do as we please
And never heed Him;
But He always knows what's best,
And it's when we are distressed
That we really come to know God as He is.

As you may recall, I've been reading through 1 & 2 Kings and 1 & 2 Chronicles.  I decided to keep going in that part of the Old Testament, so now I am reading through Ezra also.  God has given me so many treasures!  He always gives us just what we need when we need it - doesn't He?  I was so encouraged and blessed when I got to 2 Chronicles 20.  It was just the reminder I needed!  Jehoshaphat faced opposition.  We face opposition.  How Jehoshaphat handled the opposition is a wonderful example of what I should do when I am facing opposition:
1. Pray (Seek the Lord) v. 6-13
2. Hear (and obey) God's instructions v. 15-17
3. Worship v. 18
4. Praise v. 19,21
5. Victory v. 22
6. Gratitude & Joy v. 26-27
7. Rest & Quiet v. 30
The result?  Others are compeled to fear the Lord (v. 29).
I have been praying and trying to hear and heed God's instructions, but I had been especially neglecting number 4 - praise.  I've tried to correct that.  Am I still facing opposition?  Yes, but adding the element of praise has certainly helped ease some of the ache my heart was feeling!  I'm so thankful for all the solutions God has given us in His Word - aren't you?

1 comment:

  1. I needed that today. God is teaching me so much these days.

    ReplyDelete