Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Learning to Be a Mary (When You Are a Martha) Part 1

When I started this blog, I made a promise to the Lord.  I promised that I would share with you whatever the Lord gave me to share.  A couple of days ago, God gave me the following post.  It's quite lengthy, so I'll break it up into parts.  I pray that it will be a blessing to you as it has been to me.
Have you ever thought about which Bible person you are most like?  I don't mean the one you wish you were, or the one you hope to be someday.  I mean the one you are right now.    For me, it is Martha.  She reminds me of me - always busy doing, working at something.  Here is how I see Martha....Martha the Brave, the Valiant, the Organizer (I can organize myself right into oblivion!).  Martha the House-Keeper Extraordinaire - however else I might be like Martha, here is where we are definitely different.  A House-Keeper Extraordinaire I am NOT!  I can barely keep all my plates spinning, but not Martha!  She had it all together!
Yes, I admire Martha - her strength of character, that ability of hers to "keep it all together."  It was probably Martha to whom Mary and Lazarus turned in a family crisis.  Perhaps Martha had even raised Mary and Lazarus.  There is no mention of their parents in the Scriptures.  We have no idea how long they had been without parents before they met Jesus.
Then one day, they met Jesus.  We don't know exactly how they had met Jesus.  The Bible only tells us in Luke 10:38, "and a certain woman named Martha received him into her house."  Martha was obviously the oldest.  She carried the burdens of the household.  the Bible says she "was cumbered about much serving."  She couldn't sit still and do nothing.  Modern doctors would say she had RLS - "Restless Leg Syndrome" or maybe even that she had OCD - "Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder"!  Whatever it was, Martha was driven - driven to always be doing.  Maybe it had become a habit born out of necessity.  If she had raised Mary and Lazarus, then the full responsibility of getting things done had always fallen to her.

No comments:

Post a Comment