Monday, July 21, 2014

"My Shadow"

One of my favorite poems is called "My Shadow" by Robert Louis Stevenson.  I remember a little girl sitting with her "Pama" (Grandma), listening to her read this poem.  I can still hear her voice as she read to me, and I can still hear my own giggles of delight!  

I have a little shadow that goes in and out with me,
And what can be the use of him is more than I can see.
He is very, very like me from the heels up to the head;
And I see him jump before me, when I jump into my bed.

The funniest thing about him is the way he likes to grow—
Not at all like proper children, which is always very slow;
For he sometimes shoots up taller like an India-rubber ball,
And he sometimes gets so little that there’s none of him at all.

He hasn’t got a notion of how children ought to play,
And can only make a fool of me in every sort of way.
He stays so close beside me, he’s a coward you can see;
I’d think shame to stick to nursie as that shadow sticks to me!

One morning, very early, before the sun was up,
I rose and found the shining dew on every buttercup;
But my lazy little shadow, like an arrant sleepy-head,
Had stayed at home behind me and was fast asleep in bed.

Now that I'm all grown up and have children of my own, I often think about this poem.  I took the liberty of changing the words to this favorite poem of mine.  You see, my children are like little shadows that go in and out with me...(Do you know how much fun cleaning a toilet can be?  If you don't think so (like me) - just ask my 5 year old who begged me this morning to let her clean the toilets!  Has a way of changing that "ho-hum" attitude, doesn't it?)


I have a little shadow that goes in and out with me,
And how God can use him someday, I can clearly see.
He is very, very like me from the heels up to the head;
And I see him play before me, as with the chores I try to keep ahead!

The funniest thing about him is the way he likes to grow –
Very much like proper children, which to a parent doesn’t see so slow;
For he sometimes acts more grown-up with his attitudes and all,
And he sometimes acts so sweet that I wish he’d stay so small!

He only has a notion of how children ought to play,
And can only make a teacher of me in every sort of way.
He stays so close beside me, he’s eager to learn you can see;
I’d think it wonderful if he sticks to God as that shadow sticks to me!

One morning, very early, before the sun was up,
I rose and found God’s shining dew on every verse looked up;
And my busy little shadow, like an energetic bumblebee,

Had crept up quietly behind me, waiting to sit upon my knee.

I am reminded of how shadows change and how fleeting they are....just like the time I have with my children.  Martha, Ian, and Phebe - my three little shadows!

No comments:

Post a Comment