Friday, December 20, 2013

Psalm 107

As I read through Psalm 107 this morning during my Quiet Time, the Lord brought some things to my attention.  Verses that I have read countless times jumped off the page at me - as if my Bible was suddenly in 3D!!  I just wanted to share what jumped off the page at me this morning.  I hope it is as much of a blessing to you as it was to me!
Did you ever notice that in Psalm 107 there are 2 verses that are repeated 4 times in that one chapter?  Out of 43 verses, the Lord chose to repeat 2 of those verses 4 different times.  Now I know that when God says something one time it is important and we should take heed.  But when God says something repeatedly, it is a definite "Hello???? Are you paying attention to what I am saying?" moment - at least for me!  Verses 6,13, 19, and 28 say almost the exact same thing:
Psalm 107:6 "Then they cried unto the LORD in their trouble, and he delivered them out of their distresses."
Psalm 107:13 "Then they cried unto the LORD in their trouble, and he saved them out of their distresses."
Psalm 107:19 "Then they cry unto the LORD in their trouble, and he saveth them out of their distresses."
Psalm 107:28 "Then they cry unto the LORD in their trouble, and he bringeth them out of their distresses."
Notice also verses 8, 15, 21, and 31:
Psalm 107:8 "Oh that men would praise the LORD for his goodness, and for his wonderful works to the children of men!"
Psalm 107:15 "Oh that men would praise the LORD for his goodness, and for his wonderful works to the children of men!"
Psalm 107:21 "Oh that men would praise the LORD for his goodness, and for his wonderful works to the children of men!"
Psalm 107:31 "Oh that men would praise the LORD for his goodness, and for his wonderful works to the children of men!"
Each one of those 8 verses are marked in my Bible - and what a help and comfort and blessing they have been to me through the years!  But this morning, the Lord drew my attention to the fact that there are verses in between that I often overlook!  Oh yes, I get excited about the "Problem and Solution" verses, but how many times have I actually paid close attention to what the Lord did to solve the problem?  As you read the following verses, let them sink into your heart.  Think about exactly what the Lord did and why.
Psalm 107:7 "And he led them forth by the right way, that they might go to a city of habitation."  He led them - not just any which way, but "by the right way."  Why?  "That they might go to a city of habitation."  For those of us who are saved, God led us into the right way, and someday we will go to a city of habitation - Heaven!
Psalm 107:14 "He brought them out of darkness and the shadow of death, and brake their bands in sunder."  What darkness has the Lord brought you out of?  What bands has He broken for you today?
Psalm 107:20 "He sent his word, and healed them, and delivered them from their destruction."  How many times has the Lord brought His Word into our hearts and minds to give us help and comfort in times of need?
Psalm 107:29-30 "He maketh the storm a calm, so that the waves thereof are still.  Then are they glad because they be quiet; so he bringeth them unto their desired haven."  Has He calmed any storms for you lately?  If so, then you are glad - aren't we always when the storms of life pass?  "…he bringeth them unto their desired haven."  God's ways are perfect.  We can rest in His plans, and know that He will help us in every area of our life.
The very last verse of Psalm 107 sums it all up for us.  "Whoso is wise, and will observe these things, even they shall understand the lovingkindness of the LORD."  Psalm 107:43
Do you want to understand the lovingkindness of the Lord?  I do.  Here are the conditions the Lord gives me:  Be wise and Observe the things God has written for me in His Word.
"Oh that men would praise the LORD for his goodness, and for his wonderful works to the children of men!"  Psalm 107:8,15,21,31
What are praising Him for today?

No comments:

Post a Comment