Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Strong in Grace

2 Timothy 2:1
"Thou therefore, my son, be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus."
Do you ever find yourself out of strength?  Have you ever questioned why God allowed a certain thing to happen in your life?  I have...in fact that's how I've been spending a lot of my time lately.  Trying to make sense of the circumstances and trying to understand exactly what God is doing and why.  I haven't been very successful in understanding, but one thing I do know - God is always good!  No matter what happens in my life - good or bad - God is always good!
I read 2 Timothy 1 this morning during my quiet time, but then the Lord drew my attention to
2 Timothy 2:1.  How I needed that verse this morning!  Praise the Lord, He didn't just say, "Be strong!"  He said, "Be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus."  God wants me to be strong - yes!  But not just for the sake of being strong - He wants me to be strong in grace.  And He was very specific about which grace I am supposed to be strong in - THE grace that is in Christ Jesus.  Where would any of us be without His grace?  His grace does so many things for us - things that we don't even stop and think about so many times......His grace saves us, protects us, provides for us, and sustains us.  His grace helps us get through those trials and burdens that weigh so heavy on us....without His grace, how can I take the next step - especially when it seems there is no hope in sight?  His grace......

When I think about my childhood, it is always with a thankful heart.  I can remember many times my Mom and I singing our way through the song book as we drove to town for groceries or church.  Little did I realize then what God was doing....just like with the verses I memorized, God was using my Mom to fill my mind and heart with Godly music!  How many times have I gone through something and God brings a verse of a song floating through my heart to help heal the hurt.  For example:  recently I found myself singing the third verse of "Little Is Much When God Is In It":
"Are you laid aside from service,
Body worn with toil and care?
You can still be in the battle, 
In the sacred place of prayer."

Do you know the song "Jesus I am Resting"? Verse 3 says,
"Ever lift Thy face upon me, 
As I work and wait for Thee;
Resting 'neath Thy smile, Lord Jesus, 
Earth's dark shadows flee.
Brightness of my Father's glory,
Sunshine of my Father's face,
Keep me ever trusting, resting,
Fill me with Thy grace."


No comments:

Post a Comment