Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Kicking Against the Pricks

"...it is hard for thee to kick against the pricks."  Acts 9:5b
You know most of the time we read this story of when Paul got saved, and apply it only to his salvation story.  But do you ever find yourself in this situation?  I must confess that I do.  Circumstances and situations come into our lives that make us uncomfortable or that we just plain don't like, and we start kicking.  I've been reading through the Book of Acts this month, and the Lord has brought this verse to my mind quite often lately.
The more I thought about "kicking against the pricks," the more I realized that when I get my eyes off of Jesus and onto the things around me - that's when I start kicking!  Just like when Peter started sinking as he was walking on the water to Jesus!
Life is not perfect and not one person here on earth is perfect.  But praise the Lord, we have a Saviour who is perfect and has given us his promises - which are also perfect!
The other day, I'll confess, I was kicking pretty hard about some things.  Then the Lord brought me to my senses, and one by one I started giving all those things to the Lord.  One of my favorite solutions to my worries is something the Lord showed me many years ago when I lived in the Philippines as a single missionary:
My Isaiah Solution
Step 1 (My part):  Isaiah 37:14 "And Hezekiah received the letter from the hand of the messengers, and read it:  and Hezekiah went up unto the house of the LORD, and spread it before the LORD."  Hezekiah heard the bad news, he had the discouraging thought/problem/circumstances, but he spread it before the LORD.
Step 2 (God's Command):  Isaiah 37:6b "...Thus saith the LORD, Be not afraid of the words that thou hast heard,..."  God told Hezekiah not to be afraid of the words he had heard (that discouraging thought the Deciever whispers into our ears).
Step 3 (God's Answer/Promise):  Isaiah 37:35 "For I will defend this city to save it for mine own sake, and for my servant David's sake."  God was going to fight for Hezekiah - He promised and He kept his promise.  God will fight for us, too - when we let him.  Hezekiah had to let God be God, and allow God to use all those circumstances and situations (good and bad) to shape Hezekiah into the person God wanted him to be - to be the best he could be for the Lord and for those around him.
I don't know what you are facing today - I can only share with you what the Lord has been reminding me of these last few days.  I can only follow the Lord's leading and share these thoughts with you this morning....
Kicking against the Pricks?  Sometimes YES!  But praise the Lord, we have a Redeemer who is ready to help us, to save us, to comfort us, and to give us the wisdom and the contentment to go on joyfully for HIM - no matter what is raging around us!

No comments:

Post a Comment