Thursday, December 8, 2016

Learning to Rest

"Get some rest, Young Lady," my Father-in-law would always tell me at the end of every phone call.  "Yes, sir, I'll try," I would respond.  What I was thinking, however, was vastly different from the words on my lips.  My thoughts usually sounded more like this:  "Ugh! Rest? What is that?  I don't have time for rest!  I have 3 very busy children!  I have projects of every shape and size waiting for me! I have..." The voice of excuses droned on and on.  "Rest" - that elusive dream of so many people.  "Rest" - is it even a reality?  Sometimes it just seems like a far away dream...
Then the Lord directs my attention to Matthew 11:28-30.  "Oh, Lord," I moan.  "I know those verses! They're nice, but they don't apply to me...not really.  I mean....well, I'm busy...I have all these things to do, and.....I don't have time, Lord!  You understand, right?"  But as I start to skim by those verses once again, the gentle voice of the Saviour says, "Come."  "Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.  For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light."
"Come....and I will give you rest."
It is at that moment that I realize I have a choice.  Yes, that word "come" is a command.  Yet it is not a harsh, demanding command.  It is gentle, comforting, inviting.  Like being invited over to the window seat to have a chat over a good cup of coffee with a close friend.  How can I refuse?  It is a command offered because of the love and concern my Saviour has for my well-being.  Back to that choice...
I can choose to come and have rest and comfort, or I can choose to continue "doing it myself" - and the struggle continues... But as I study these verses I realize a couple of things.  First, I realized that Christ said, "...ye shall find rest for your souls."  "Rest for your SOULS."  Salvation = rest for your soul eternally.  I also realized that when our soul is at rest, all the rest of our being tends to be at rest as well.  My youngest treasure is at the point in her life where she says, "I do it, Mommy!  I do it, Mommy!"  And she resists the help I offer.  I know it will make things easier for her, yet she insists on "doing it herself"!  Isn't that how we are with the Lord so often?
So today I choose to "Come."  I choose the rest, the peace, and the comfort that my Saviour is waiting to give me.  I choose to accept His help as I go through my day.  What choice will you make this busy holiday season?

No comments:

Post a Comment